Sunday, September 21, 2008

Free time?

I really worked my butt off today. Up early for a run with Tank, then a fast scan of the NY Times and the Gazette. Up on the scaffolding by 10 AM, following a wasted trip to Lowe's looking for 4" cove molding to replace that which was lost in a reroofing a few years back. Got the second coat of paint on the NE corner of the house, raced inside to do laundry and vacuum, back outside to scrape paint, weed the front garden, back to cleaning and more laundry. I'm so pleased at the new paint. The new color is a gold, very close to the original color. Scraping archeology unearthed a layer of blue, a grey, and lots of white in addition to the gold.

MK got home from church and coffee with a friend about 1, and helped me dismantle the scaffolding from the north side and haul it onto the porch roof so I can reach the third floor dormer. He doesn't do heights, so the upper stuff is my turf. This is OK, since I'm just a little on the OCD side when it comes to surface prep. anyway: scrape, sand, scrape some more, sand, wash, renail siding, caulk, then paint... It's a process.

Then I made dinner and collapsed on the sofa, but only to read up for the city council meetings tomorrow and Tuesday. I feel very tired, and maybe a little virtuous. But I love getting this old house in better shape, even if the progress is minute. This week we look forward to more electrical work, and a visit from the plumber: the drain from the basement utility sink is leaking a small river across the floor.

No comments: